Senior Embedded Software / Controls Engineer
Our Client is a specialist in the design and manufacture of the next-generation thermally managed lithium-ion battery systems for automotive, industrial, marine, aerospace and defence applications. This is an exciting time to be joining a growing company at the forefront of electrification.
We are looking for a control engineer to support development of next-generation battery management systems for high-voltage lithium-ion battery packs for automotive, industrial, marine, defence and aerospace applications. The expectation is not that you arrive on day 1 with this capability, but that you have the aptitude and desire to learn all aspects of battery pack control.
* Develop control-oriented battery models (electrical, electrochemical, thermal, aging)
* Design battery state of charge/health/power, temperature, and fault estimation algorithms
* Build charge, drive, and balancing battery control algorithms
* Determine sensor requirements for optimized battery estimation and control performance
* Build and scale hardware in the loop (HIL) capabilities as it pertains to the testing of model-based control/estimation strategies on single cells and modules/packs
* Perform experiments at the cell/module/pack levels to characterize and validate developed control-oriented models & algorithms
* Support the development of trade studies to understand key trade-offs of battery algorithm solutions
* Work with Mechanical Engineering and Test Engineering groups to define requirements for battery management system software
* Collaborate with the Cell Technology group to understand battery behaviour and devise necessary test plans for battery management system development
* Interface with Thermal Technology group to understand thermal system behaviour and limitations for battery management system development
* Provide guidelines for performing system level integration and system level battery management system validation
* Contribute to the company's knowledge base and strategic directions regarding battery management systems
* Considerable experience with electronic control systems
* Expertise with MATLAB/Simulink
* Experience with battery modelling (preferred but not essential), estimation, and control methods
* Experience with controls-oriented battery models (e.g. equivalent circuit models such as OCV-R-RC, reduced order electrochemical models such as SPM/SPMe, and thermal models) for estimation and control (preferred but not essential).
* Model-based estimation and control algorithm design, implementation, calibration, code optimization, and experimental validation experience, ideally specific to lithium ion batteries
* Good understanding of battery behaviour from beginning of life through end of life preferred
* Working experience interfacing with mechanical, electrical, electrochemical, and thermal systems
* Hands-on experience with HIL systems and battery testers is a plus
* Experience supporting and leading technical efforts
* Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
If you enjoy a blisteringly fast-paced work environment with a flat leadership structure then please get in touch for an informal discussion.
* Bonus scheme
* Flexible working hours
* On-site parking
* Company events & social hours
* Casual dress
* Wellness programmes
* Private medical/dental insurance
* Work from home opportunities
* Life insurance
Salary: €40,000.00 to €60,000.00 /year
Call Tim Bees on 01621 841234 or email email@example.com
Job Reference: 250275T
Applying For This Position
Unless otherwise stated, when applying for a job, you should ensure that you're already authorised to work in the country where the role is located.
There is never a need to provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
Since 1977 we have been helping companies, leaders in their field globally, to find talented candidates for technical roles at all levels. If you are looking for a new career opportunity speak to one of our specialist sector consultants today.
Placing People First
RHL provide a value added quality service to both clients and candidates at all levels, in particular, at a time where skill shortages challenge us all on a global scale. Our ability to deliver is key not only to the success of our business but also that of our clients and to the candidates we place. We strive for continued success as trusted recruitment partners throughout the recruitment life cycle.