This is an opportunity for an ambitious Senior Technician to join the Powertrain Test Rig Technician team at one of Europe's leading independent technology centres for the design, engineering, test and development of automotive and propulsion systems, and a pioneer of low carbon technologies.
Roles and responsibilities
- Ensure all H&S and quality procedures have been adhered to
- Pre-rigging of engines/powertrain rigs in preparation for bespoke installations to hub mounted AC dynamometers in a test cell environment
- Engine/Powertrain rig installation including fabrication, instrumentation and cooling/fuel/boost conditioning system set-up
- Preparation and installation of transmissions, driveline components and vehicles for dyno rig mounting
- Likely to include hybrid driveline elements working in conjunction with internal combustion engine
- Support engine servicing, running checks, repair and component replacement
- An element of fault diagnosis will be required
- Ensure agreed deadlines are met and liaise with Operations to ensure targets are met
- Liaise with supporting staff, Engineers, Supervisors and customers on a technical level
- Work with Operations and Engineering to carry out controlled testing on various powertrains
- Develop initiatives to reduce waste and optimise efficiency
- Develop best working practices and provide training to others
- City and Guild in Automotive or Engineering
- (Full Automotive / engineering apprenticeship or HNC)
- Must have a sound automotive background within a testing environment
- Instrumentation experience (thermocouples, pressure transducers etc.)
- Good understanding of gasoline and diesel engine operation
- Understanding of transmission and driveline system desirable
- Exposure to Hybrid systems desirable
- Basic fabrication and mechanical fitting skills
- Understanding of complex engines, testing techniques and associated equipment and tools
- Modification of engine electrical harnesses for testbed environment
- A good knowledge in the use of engine test cell associated equipment
- Skills in electronic, electrical and mechanical engine diagnostics
- Awareness of high voltage electrical system associated with hybrid elements of powertrain desirable
- Good general IT skills especially MS Excel
- Time management and organisation
- Professional attitude under pressure and good communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to follow written instructions/work requests
- Good understanding of H&S practices
- Willingness to work early/late shifts and occasional weekends
- Full UK driving licence
- Willing to undergo a Criminal Records Bureau check
**** NO VISA SPONSORSHIP / RELOCATION PROVIDED ****
Applying For This Position
Unless otherwise stated, when applying for a job, you should ensure that you're already authorised to work in the country where the role is located.
There is never a need to provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
Skills and experienceEngine Test Tech / Rig
Since 1977 we have been helping companies, leaders in their field globally, to find talented candidates for technical roles at all levels. If you are looking for a new career opportunity speak to one of our specialist sector consultants today.
Placing People First
RHL provide a value added quality service to both clients and candidates at all levels, in particular, at a time where skill shortages challenge us all on a global scale. Our ability to deliver is key not only to the success of our business but also that of our clients and to the candidates we place. We strive for continued success as trusted recruitment partners throughout the recruitment life cycle.